Friday, June 24, 2022

Never Bean Better

 Previously:

Crunch Time  - -  Chicken & Somethin'

Since it was invented at the Old Corner Drugstore in Waco, Dr Pepper has been a big part of Texas culture.  It's everywhere you look.  Check out the score at a little league game and you'll probably see the DP logo on the scoreboard.  Go to the downtown area of any small Texas town and you'll probably see a faded, hand-painted Dr Pepper mural on an old brick wall.  The most misunderstood soft drink has also become one of the most popular and its unique flavor can't be contained to the soda aisle of the grocery store an more.  

These days you can get lots of your favorite foods in Dr Pepper flavor.  Licorice, cotton candy, barbecue sauce, pound cake and even lip balm.  I've tried one or two of these but today I tried something new:  Dr Pepper Baked Beans:

Dubbed "Sweet & a Bit Sassy," these are made by Serious Bean Co., a company known for their unique take on the canned classic as well as their little Bean Guy mascots, a different one for each of their flavors.  You can see that the little guy for the Dr Pepper variety has a #23 on it, representing 23 flavors said to be in the recipe for the legendary beverage.  But were they actually able to incorporate all of them into their beans?

I gotta say the taste is...interesting.  While there was nothing I enjoyed more on a hot summer day than a cold Dr Pepper as a kid, I actually haven't drank soda regularly in decades.  So my palate my be a little unrefined.  But I do eat beans on a semi-regular basis so I usually know what to expect.  But I didn't expect this.  The best I can say is that they are very "soda-esque."  I'd almost say they're "zesty"...which is not a term I typically use to describe beans.  

The Dr Pepper flavor is definitely noticeable, impossible to ignore, even.  These are not a subtle side dish.  In fact if you served them without announcing that they're Dr Pepper flavored you'd definitely get a "What's up with these beans?' type of reaction from your dinner guests.  But knowing what flavor they're shooting for would definitely lessen the surprise.  

These would be great for a festive picnic but maybe not for a simple side during a quick lunch.  These guys want to be noticed, not just relegated to the side of the plate.  With that being said, I'm not sure when I'll serve them again.  I'm thinking I'll keep the soda in my memories of hot summers cold drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment