Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Touring Turkey

Previously:



Bob Wills was known as the King of Western Swing and together with the Texas Playboys, he filled the airwaves and dance halls with hit after hit to the delight of country music fans everywhere.  His home town of Turkey, TX has a few mementos and memorials to honor its favorite son.  Since I found myself in the Panhandle recently, I had a chance to check some of them out.



You can find a replica (I assume) of the famous tour bus that took Wills and his band from town to town.  In looks lovingly restored and it's easy to find on display on the side of one of the town's main roads (it's a pretty small town and it's probably unlikely you'd be able to hide anything there...even if you wanted to).


Not too far from the bus is the Bob Wills Monument, a stone and steel commemoration of the man's life and work.  It's topped with a fiddle, his signature instrument and each side has inscriptions about his musical career, acting career and military service. 


I didn't have too much time to explore when I was passing through but was happy to see several decorative declarations of pride in a true Texas music icon.  Whenever I have time to get back there I'll look around for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment